Saturday 5 May 2012

Discrimination or Prejudice!

After the first few post I've made, this is a change of pace. I was watching the show Today Tonight the other night, and on came a story about Discrimination towards larger persons. And it struck me once again just how much it annoys me that this word's meaning has been distorted so much. Add to that it is so overly used in the mass media these days, it has actually lost it's true meaning.

I have a pet hate I'm afraid with the misuse of words. Even worse maybe could be the subtle changing of word meanings to suit a particular movement towards creating more of a smoke screen than is needed. I'm sure everyone has noticed over the years the increase in the use of the word Discrimination. I'm sure that by far the majority of people in the world now recognise it as a word to use in order to describe the unfair views or treatment of different races or minority groups. I would point out here that I do not by any means condone any such treatment towards such groups. But I put it to you that we have been misusing the word Discrimination, when we simply mean Prejudice.

I was sad to look up Discrimination on the ever reliable
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/discrimination?q=Discrimination
to find that the first definition they had was; "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex: victims of racial discrimination, discrimination against homosexuals." I would love to at this point reveal the true meaning of the word. The second meaning listed is indeed it's true meaning: "recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another: discrimination between right and wrong: young children have difficulties in making fine discriminations: the ability to judge what is of high quality; good judgement or taste: those who could afford to buy showed little taste or discrimination: Psychology the ability to distinguish between different stimuli: discrimination learning."

Now time to show you why I say this. The word "Discrimination" is derived from the Latin verb, Discrimire, which means to separate, to distinguish, to make a distinction. More like making an informed choice rather than slandering, or abusing someone. HMM.?!

For moments where things are seen as racial unfairness or ill treatment towards minority groups, the word we're looking for is more like the word Prejudice. This word carries with it the
correct derogatory tone for these situations and adequately conveys the message. The Oxford Dictionary does get it right this time with: Prejudice; "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience: English prejudice against foreigners: deep-rooted class prejudices dislike, hostility, or unjust behaviour deriving from preconceived and unfounded opinions: accusations of racial prejudice." Why is this correct? The word Prejudice is derived from the Latin word Preajudicium, meaning prior judgement.

So where does that leave us? Pretty easy from here i would suggest. To discriminate is to make an informed decision, therefore a choice. No derogatory tone anywhere to be found to imply an against term like many would have you believe. However to be prejudice, that is a different tone of word altogether. I could simply say that I discriminated between eating an apple and drinking the DDT (chemical that was used to kill bugs on the apples). I made an informed decision not to drink the DDT because I knew it was poison. A smart choice too I might add. Thus bringing us back to Prejudice, and now we can see that this is the word we mean when we're upset about mistreatment, or derogatory comments and sentiment.

To Discriminate is not a crime at all, it is in fact using logic and common sense in most cases. But essentially it is simply making a choice. On the other hand Discriminating with Prejudice is not to be tolerated in any circumstances. This is flat out making a choice based on preconceived opinions about someone. In other words: do you know them have you had experiences with them yet? No! Then what the heck do you know to make such a decision?

So the next time you feel yourself getting sucked into using Discrimination as a derogatory term, remember it only means you're making a choice. There is no against in it's meaning unless you add the word Prejudice.

Rant Over...

Till next time.
God Bless

2 comments:

  1. actually Anthony, I beg to differ on your definition of discrimination.
    Being a verb, it is an action and can be both good AND bad.
    Yes, you are right, discrimination is to separate,to distinguish, to make a distinction.
    Yes, this can be a good thing. If I was shopping and faced with a rotten apple and a ripe apple, I would discriminate and choose the ripe one.
    Discriminating against walking on loose stones next to a cliff instead of the bitumen path a meter from the cliff may well save me from harm.
    In both cases,I am separating, making a distinction between two actions.
    But what happens if I am an employer and I am choosing between two employees, one white and one black, and I choose the white employee because I am racially prejudiced and believe that all black people are unintelligent and lazy?
    By the definition of "discrimination" , I am separating, distinguishing or making a distinction between two things (in this case people). However in this case, my action is based on preconceived, negative ideas I have about someone based on their skin colour. All of a sudden discrimination is a bad thing, not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elly. But my point was simply that to Discriminate is to make a distinction between things. Good or bad because obviously we can make good and bad choices, but it does not carry with it a tone to suggest against. Only when we say Prejudicial Discrimination against someone do we give the meaning we are looking to convey.

    We are all entitled to make the choices we wish to in order to run our business. To in other words Discriminate. Otherwise are we really running our business or are we being told how to? But if we are Discriminating with Prejudice towards someone, we are making a choice with preconceived notions on that person. This is not ok. To discriminate is a right in my opinion but with prejudice it becomes a whole different ball game.

    Of course I do realise that by using against when using the word prejudice really isn't necessary. But we have given Discrimination a negative meaning, and in my opinion it has been flogged, over and over.

    And I take this opinion based on the base of where we retrieved our inspiration for the words we use in our English.

    ReplyDelete